So I had my GP appointment and the outcome is that I’ll be having an ultrasound scan on my right foot (not my left, because I don’t know, budget constraints?). This is OK really, the injuries are symmetric enough, although not 100%. First space is worse on the right, third space is worse on the left. Maybe I should have gone for the left. I don’t know. Probably makes no difference.
I don’t know what the waiting time will be but I guess 4-8 weeks plus another couple of weeks for the results to get back to the GP, which is fine really.
So now I will have to think more seriously about treatment. The MN on the right foot is probably not currently worth treating because it’s not affecting me much, although it does seem worse now than it has been for a long time. The MN in the left foot has been more painful and I may be tempted to try an injection, assuming there isn’t a conspicuous absence of a neuroma on the ultrasound. The pains in the first interspace are less clear; as they are relatively new I am yet to see whether they are actually problematic. They may subside over the next couple of months (the nerve feelings seem to have subsided, but there’s still discomfort at the metatarsal heads). I’m very curious to see what the ultrasound shows here, as neuromas in this space are supposedly unusual.
There’s still a big unknown in how everything will handle running from here on. I’ve had four weeks out now but I’ll start again this weekend. I have retired my Altra shoes as I suspect these exaggerate my pronation due to being inherently unstable, which likely triggered the first space problems. I bought some more supportive Asics, which I might rotate with my neutral pair. I have time to experiment with this a bit.